Many essential oils can be used for hair care or as remedies for scalp and hair problems, but some oils are especially beneficial for the tresses. If you’re looking for the best essential oils to try first for all-around hair care, choosing one of these is a great option:
1. Cedarwood – Oil from the wood of the cedar tree contains powerful anti-fungal, antiseptic and astringent compounds. In addition, the oil has a circulation-boosting benefit, making it ideal for rejuvenating the scalp to promote hair growth or to address symptoms of dryness or irritation.
2. Lavender – Produced from the beautiful purple flowers of the lavender plant, lavender essential oil has a pleasing scent and has been shown to have antioxidant and antimicrobial properties. It can be used for many hair care concerns from calming eczema of the scalp to supporting the healing of irritated skin to enhancing hair growth.
3. Peppermint – Peppermint oil creates a pleasing tingle when applied to the scalp, making it a favorite remedy for an itchy scalp. The tingling also increases blood flow to the follicles to assist with hair growth. Antimicrobial properties of peppermint also make it a natural remedy for scalp acne.
4. Lemon – Squeezed from fresh lemons, this vitamin C rich oil is a natural purifier that can be used to fight scalp build-up. It can also be used as a natural disinfectant, making it ideal for addressing scalp acne and various scalp infections.
5. Tea Tree Oil – Sourced from the melaluca or Australian tea tree, this essential oil has remarkable antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. It’s one of the best natural remedies for dandruff, and it can help to reduce flakes caused by dryness. In addition, the oil can be used to remove product build-up, fight ringworm and acne of the scalp and to repel lice.
6. Eucalyptus – Produced from another Australian tree, eucalyptus has circulation boosting properties that allow more oxygen and nutrient-rich blood to reach the follicles in order to support hair growth. The oil also can calm inflammation to soothe an itchy scalp.
7. Rosemary – Essential oil produced from the rosemary herb has been shown in clinical studies to encourage rapid hair growth by enhancing circulation to the scalp. The oil is also frequently recommended for addressing scalp flakes and helping to slow graying.
8. Sandalwood – Known for its exotic, earthy fragrance, the essential oil made from the sandalwood tree has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. This makes the oil ideal for addressing a number of scalp problems.
9. Lemongrass – Vitamin rich essential oil from the herb lemongrass helps to energize and strengthen the hair follicles. As a result, it is often used for hair loss due to excessive shedding. It also has anti-inflammatory benefits that are good for easing itching and redness.
10. Frankincense – A resin made from an African tree, this essential oil was once very hard to come by and considered to be priceless in some cultures. Now that it is more readily available, it is often used for its antioxidant protection and for its ability to fight microbes.