Herbal remedies have been used for centuries to help promote hair growth, and today, reaping the benefits of these traditional remedies is easy with the right essential oils.
Addressing hair loss the natural way with an essential oil will require two components: your essential oil, which acts as an active ingredient, and the carrier oil, which forms the base of your hair growth treatment.
Some of the most effective essential oils for hair growth include:
– Carrot root is frequently used in combination with minoxidil or on its own for addressing male pattern baldness. It contains retinoids that stimulate cellular turnover to help promote a healthier scalp.
– Cedarwood has been shown in studies to have antibacterial benefits, making it an ideal choice of essential oil for hair loss connected to infections of the skin.
– Clary sage is often suggested for hair loss that is linked to hormonal imbalances in women, as this essential oil may help to boost estrogen levels in the skin tissue.
– Clove is a circulation-boosting natural extract with added antibacterial and antioxidant benefits. By increasing oxygen levels in the skin, it has the potential to stimulate the hair follicles.
– Helichrysum has demonstrated anti-inflammatory abilities and is often used to address scar tissue, making it the optimal choice of essential oil for hair loss due to many different underlying causes.
– Lavender not only has been shown to have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, but it is also believed by many to ease stress. As a result, it is a popular essential oil for hair loss that may be connected to emotional or physical stress.
– Rosemary is used in many hair care products that address hair loss. The extract may help to stimulate the production of cells in order to drive hair growth.
Combining your essential oil with one of these carrier oils will perfectly complete your treatment and give you the best chance of getting great results:
– Coconut oil is used in India as a hair growth treatment all on its own.
– Evening primrose oil provides the scalp with essential fatty acids, which nourish and hydrate the skin. This oil is an ideal carrier for thinning caused by poor circulation.
– Grapeseed oil has been used as a carrier oil in a number of successful studies regarding the use of essential oils for hair loss treatment.
– Jojoba oil is often used to purify the pores, making this an excellent carrier oil for thinning that is caused in part by build-up on the scalp.
– Rosehip oil has been shown in some studies to support rejuvenation of damaged skin tissue, giving it the potential to help revitalize a damaged scalp.
To prepare your essential oils for hair growth, mix about eight drops of your essential oil for each ounce of carrier oil that you use. Apply at least once every day, massaging the oil into your scalp and allowing it to remain in place for at least a few hours or overnight.